Sunday, December 15, 2013

"Draculas" by Jeff Strand, Jack Kilborn aka J.A. Konrath, Blake Crouch, F. Paul Wilson (5 Stars) ***Cntdwn2Jeff***

* * * * *
Draculas
by Jeff Strand, Jack Kilborn aka J.A. Konrath,
Blake Crouch, and F. Paul Wilson

Genre: Horror

* * * * *

I am reviewing this book as part of my Countdown to Jeff series, a lead-up to guest blogger Jeff Strand. "Draculas" is #2 in my series.

What happens when you take a disgustingly rich old man on death's doorstep with his hands on an artifact of the first vampire in creation? Would you know the answer if I told you that artifact was a skull with fangs intact? No? Really? Ok, I'll tell you! He bites himself with it! Glorious!

Mr. Mortimer Moorecook is delivered posthaste to the hospital in an effort to cease his convulsions, because that's what you do when an old man wants to live forever and brilliantly stabs himself in the neck with a mouthful of ancient teeth. It's only to be expected that Mortimer bites someone whilst in his throes, it's just a shame that he's now contagious and what he's got you don't want.

I first read this book shortly after it came out and to me it was like hitting the horror lover jackpot. It has horror movie written all over it. There are the survivors who just want to get the hell out of the hospital alive, you have a woman in labor, a killer clown, sacrifice, a creepy girl, gore, chills, laughs and special features for the die-hard fans. 

At the end of the book, you get to read all of the emails passed between these four horror geniuses as they wrote Draculas, and yes I did read them. All of them. What can I say, as a writer who writes with a friend, I've often wondered how other writers do it! Oh and did I mention, there are black and white sketches to go along with the story? Especially enlightening and gruesome if you're wondering like I did, just what these 'vampires' look like with all those insane teeth splitting their faces. =D

I don't think I need to say much more, other than that my favorite bloke in the book doesn't live, which blows, but hey. Someone's gotta be a hero.

Want to read it RIGHT NOW? You better believe you do! Run, crawl or fly over to amazon and pick up your own copy, and stay tuned for the next installment in the Countdown to Jeff.

No comments:

Post a Comment