Sunday, March 9, 2014

Author Interview with Joshua M. Phillips!

Joshua M. Phillips
Hello, Joshua! Thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview. Let's get right to it!


Rebecca: “Bloody Mess: A Crimson City Tale” is your debut novel, is it not?
Joshua: Yes, indeed it is.

Rebecca: How did you come up with the idea for this story? Was Crimson City percolating for awhile?
Joshua: Originally years back, Detective Saint was created a long time ago in a screenplay I wrote, Blood, Blood, And More Blood. Then just recently when I decided to start writing again and self-publish, the idea of placing the character in Crimson City just came to me.

Rebecca: You introduce a new drug in your book known as Blud, described as a red tinted variation of cocaine. Is this going to be a significant thorn in the city's side?
Joshua: Oh, yes! In fact it will be more than just a thorn in its side. Blud is going to be one of the main focal points of the story. Also, soon in the next book in the series, you will see what the drug is really all about.

Rebecca: Is this going to be an open-ended series or does it have a definite cut-off point? Do you know how it will end?
Joshua: I have decided that there will be a cut-off point, I just don't know how yet. I have ideas to complete five books for the series, with some ideas for more, just not positive yet.

Rebecca: What projects do you have planned for the future? Anything you can share?
Joshua: Well, right now I'm 25% through Nax Attax, the second book in The Crimson City Tale Series. The story will follow Johnny Nax and what happens to the city after the events that took place in Bloody Mess.

Rebecca: While I was reading “Bloody Mess”, I kept imagining the story in my head with a “Sin City” graphic look to it. Cast in black and white, the women with red lips and red heels, blood splattering in a fountain of crimson. Did you feel particularly inspired by anything while you were writing? Music, film, a person?
Joshua: Yes, you hit the bullseye there! Directors Tarantino and Rodriguez are two of my biggest sources of inspiration. I constantly picture what I write as though it was on the big screen.

Rebecca: Your main character, Detective Jonathan Saint, is a tough guy at work but all squish when it comes to his wife. Do you and he have that, or anything else, in common?
Joshua: Yes, but not the tough guy part. Haha. However I am very all squish when it comes to my lovely wife, Melissa Phillips, whom the book is dedicated too. Also John and I both have the mouth of a Sailor. Haha.

Rebecca: Before we go, what's one thing you would like your readers to know about you?
Joshua: Just that I really enjoy and are grateful to share my stories with them and I love their support.


Bloody Mess on Goodreads and Amazon.com!

Stay tuned! Following this interview will be my new review for "Bloody Mess"!

No comments:

Post a Comment